Church of God History
We are affiliated with the Church of God Reformation Movement with general offices located in Anderson, IN. Visit JesusIsTheSubject.org for more information.
Local Congregation History
The original vision for a church in Chilhowie Virginia began in the hearts of Rev. and Mrs. Graham Chapman. A vacant "white frame church located at 24 Main Street was acquired and on September 5, 1954, the church held its first worship service with 55 people in attendance. The original Board members and their families are owed a deep debt of gratitude for their dedication and commitment to the Church of God.
The land located at 1121 W. Lee Highway was purchased on July 24, 1967.
On July 14, 1968, the church held a ground-breaking and dedication service for the facility located at 1121 W. Lee Highway.
The first service was held June 8, 1969, in the 1121 W. Lee Highway facility. This facility "maximum comfortable seating capacity is approximately 170 people and the square footage is approximately 9,800.
On October 7, 1979, the church celebrated a "Mortgage Burning Service with the debt for the new property paid in full.
The option to expand the 1121 W. Lee Highway facility or relocate to another place was evaluated and the decision was made to relocate. This set in motion the new building program.
On May 15, 2001, a five acre track on Highway 107 was purchased as the next site for the First Church of God, Chilhowie.
Effective August 9, 2007, the church became incorporated under the new Virginia Incorporation provisions. The purpose of the corporation is to facilitate the business activities. It is not the intent of this congregation for any human laws or business forms to interfere with, change or modify the doctrines and religious customs and practices of the Church.
The new facility located at 257 Highway 107 was completed in October and the first service was held October 25, 2009. Dedication followed in November.
A 60 Year Legacy of Faith celebration was held on September 14, 2014.
On Easter Sunday, by a unanimous vote, the church called Rev. Richard J. Hayes, a native of Southwest Ohio pastoring in Louisville, KY, to serve as Lead Pastor. Pastor Hayes is the sixth pastorate assumed, following in descending order: Rev. Bobby Dunn, Rev. Dale Volmer, Rev. Roy Dennis, Rev. Everett Crockett, and Rev. Graham Chapman.